   Re: [xml-dev] Newbie question : accent, special chars,...

You're right! the document is not well-formed. I've change the encoding to "UTF-8" and it seems to be well-formed now, but the xerces DOMparser still have trouble with it since I got the following error:

org.xml.sax.SAXParseException: Element type "Item" must be followed by either attribute specifications, ">" or "/>".
at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.reportError(XMLParser.java:1213)
at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.reportFatalXMLError(XMLDocumentScanner.java:579)
at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.abortMarkup(XMLDocumentScanner.java:628)
at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.scanElement(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1800)
at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner$ContentDispatcher.dispatch(XMLDocumentScanner.java:1182)
at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLDocumentScanner.parseSome(XMLDocumentScanner.java:381)
at org.apache.xerces.framework.XMLParser.parse(XMLParser.java:1098)

Here is the corresponding code:

// File f exists
FileInputStream fis = new FileInputStream(f);
org.xml.sax.InputSource is = new org.xml.sax.InputSource(fis);
org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser parser = new org.apache.xerces.parsers.DOMParser();
parser.parse(is);

Here is the xml in File f :

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<Item description="voici quelques caractères accentués : é ï è à utilisés en français"/>

It seems to me that the problem is more with the DOM parser than with the xml file. Should I make some configuration on it to make it run correctly with UTF-8 ?