   Re: [xml-dev] Why *is* XQuery taking so long?

Thong (Tum) Nguyen wrote:
> Are you guys just talking about read-only XQuery?

Yes.

> Are we going to have to wait another 5 years to get read-write
> support in XQuery?

I don't think updates will take 5 years, but you will have to wait. And
you'll have to wait for full-text search, and for more sophisticated
grouping.

There's been an updates proposal for many years, but it still needs
significant work, and we have to have agreement on the read-only
language first. You wouldn't want us to ship what we have right now. And
the work on updates requires people intimately familiar with the innards
of XQuery, I'm afraid, so it winds up being the same people who are now
busy getting 1.0 out.

Jonathan