   Re: [xml-dev] XML, XQueries, and Databases: Hot Questions?

Elliotte Harold wrote:

> Burak Emir wrote:
>
>> Progamming API for XML query languages should make programming easy.
>>
>> Here's an apparently very controversial question: Easy for the database
>> writer, or for the application writer?
>>

> The question isn't at all controversial. The answer is obvious: easy
> for the application writer. The same could be said for any API. The
> goal of having an API at all is to make life easier for the person who
> uses the API. The problem is implementing the obvious answer.

I had the doubtful pleasure of getting lost in quite a long thread,
after Jon Robie posted  "Early Draft Review has been released for XQuery
for Java (XQJ)"

Certainly, I have lost hope since then that there will ever be an XQuery
API that is *not* based on passing strings with queries around.

|But then, in discussions outside of this list, it was argued that Java
is just not up for tasks like representing programs symbolically in a
simple manner. The best proof is that SUN has also started to offer
XPath functions via a string based API (see javax.xml.xpath ...).

There's simply no cure for it...

Burak Emir

http://lamp.epfl.ch/~buraq