   Re: [xml-dev] W3C XML Schema design tools

On Oct 21, 2004, at 10:14 PM, Paul R Brown wrote:

> On Oct 21, 2004, at 5:14 PM, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>> What I find really surprising is that despite all these defects, XML
>> Spy
>> seems to be the only choice for most of the people and I can't believe
>> that there is no alternative, ie no other schema editor that provide
>> graphical editing features while being conform to the rec.
>
> Even more surprising and unfortunate is that neither XMLSpy nor Stylus
> are available other than on the Windows platform.  <oxygen/> is the
> only schema editor (and then no visualization functionality) available
> cross-platform.  I'm also surprised that no one's written schema
> diagramming software for GraphViz or similar.

Actually, NetBeans has Xerces embedded in it and does quite a good job
of supporting
"syntax editing" (e.g. highlighting, code completions, etc.).  It is
cross-platform as well.

It supports parsing and validating of XML, syntax editing of XML, XML
Schema, XSLT, etc.

...and it is free.

It also supports OASIS XML Catalogs!  Whoohoo!

Check out:

    http://www.netbeans.org

BTW, I'm just a fan... not a Sun employee... :)

Unfortunately, none of these are "authoring tools"--which support
creating XML Schemas
at a higher level than syntax.

-- Alex Milowski

"The excellence of grammar as a guide is proportional to the paucity of
the
considered."