   RE: [xml-dev] XML Data Modellling/Linking

>What do we see in CSS and XSL-FO for links? I mean, c'mon.
>They've had -years- to add it; they've been asked to add it; it isn't
there.

I would *love* to see something in CSS that lets us add a/@href capability
to arbitrary XML elements. But there's other kinds of stylesheets besides
CSS and XSL-FO; XSLT can convert the semantic markup to whatever combination
of CSS, Javascript, ASP, etc. is needed to implement the link widgets of
today and tomorrow on the output devices that they need to deal with. It's
practical, and people do it all the time.

>It's one thing to say <strong> equals 12 point Verdana bold. The
>styling is there, and promises to continue to be there.

Not when you're sending the data to a mobile phone screen that only has one
font. Assumptions about visual styling can still get you into trouble, which
is why you use a different stylesheet to convert your semantic markup to
whatever the mobile phone can handle, both in terms of visual styling and
linking.

Bob