   RE: [xml-dev] XML Data Modellling/Linking

At 12:47 PM 10/22/2004, DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) wrote:
>Not when you're sending the data to a mobile phone screen that only has one
>font. Assumptions about visual styling can still get you into trouble, which
>is why you use a different stylesheet to convert your semantic markup to
>whatever the mobile phone can handle, both in terms of visual styling and
>linking.

         Definitely a good point.

         I've always liked the fallback mechanism the Open eBook
publication format uses
(http://www.openebook.org/oebps/oebps1.2/index.htm). The idea is that you
can specify display elements with alternate elements, depending on the
device viewing said element.

         That'd be quite handy on the Web, methinks. I'm surprised it
hasn't been picked up, especially in regards to the display of alternate
stylesheets. Sadly, this is still in the purview of scripting tricks.

--->Ben