   RE: [xml-dev] After XQuery, are we done?

DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO) <bob.ducharme@lexisnexis.com> writes:

> The more general concept of linking, which is the
> representation of a specific relationship (often, a typed
> relationship e.g. weblog entry X
> praises/criticizes/misrepresents weblog entry Z) can be
> modeled well enough with RDF. No existing syntax to represent
> the RDF model is getting great traction. Among the efforts to
> come up with new syntaxes, the RDF-in-XHTML project is
> working with some ideas that can do much of the job of
> expressing resource relationships without scaring too many
> people off, which I find encouraging. They're mostly thinking
> in terms of metadata for now, e.g. how to represent
> statements like "1. this web page has a rights profile
> described at this Creative Commons web page, 2. this page was
> authored by that person, 3. that person has a home page at
> http://whatever."; If someone wants to write a stylesheet
> that loads these facts into a database, or turns them into
> a/@href links or javascript popups, and it serves the needs
> of their users, great.
>
> I've felt for a while that linking is about expressing relationships
> and attaching metadata to those expressions, and RDF is good for that.

> What a developer does with those expressions, like what the developer
> does with <title/> and <xref/> elements, is up to his or her
imagination
> and familiarity with the options available in the output device at
hand.

Why you need RDF?  What does it give you that plain old XML doesn't give
you in this case? An OWL link-base so that you can do off-line
relationship management perhaps? But then the problem becomes
addressing/labeling/identifiers and mapping to this link-base?

Let me put this another way: if what's being asked for is the management
of relationships between domains then the real problem is agreeing upon
common identifiers between those domains.  Once you've got that I don't
see that it matters whether you put those identifiers in RDF or plain
old XML.  I see the value for RDF for relationship management, I don't
think I need RDF for exposing the relationships to the outside world
(but I could probably be convinced otherwise)...