   Re: [xml-dev] XML Data Modellling/Linking

/ Dave Pawson <davep@dpawson.co.uk> was heard to say:
| On Fri, 2004-10-22 at 18:52, Michael Kay wrote:
[...]
|> Part of the problem, I think, is the focus on URIs as identifiers
|
| Lets leave that to TAG :-)
|
| They seem to be locked into this topic over the last n weeks.
| Ubergeeks lost in philosophical meanderings heading towards
| their own fundaments.

Heh. I knew I'd find this thread depressing but I have to say I wasn't
expecting that.

|> Even in the document world, authors should be encouraged to write
|> <postcode>RG4 7BS</postcode> without too much thought about the fact that in
|> one particular application, hovering the mouse over it might show you a map.
|
| Your first message in this thread intimated you had ideas on how XML
| markup might  be added to 'style' (or otherwise process) such items to
| move towards the ideas of XLINK....
|
| I'd love to hear them, or anyone elses.
|
| Linkbase processors could be fun!

Short of using URIs, I don't know how to write a general purpose one.
And I don't know how to build authoring environments that will support
their use. There are direct authoring problems, "how do I link this to
that," "how do I say what the link means," etc., and indirect
problems, like "how do I provide any sort of link integrity as
documents evolve".

I've got a little hack for doing (part of) XLink extended links, but
it's not obvious that it's going to be useful because I can't make
answering those questions easy.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--