   Re: [xml-dev] UPA and schema handling

/ Elliotte Harold <elharo@metalab.unc.edu> was heard to say:
| I don't know about W3C schemas, but the XML spec is not at all clear that a
| non-deterministic content model in a DTD is an error. Indeed some versions of
| Xerces have not so flagged it.

From 3.2.1 of XML 1.0 3e, it seems pretty clear to me:

   For compatibility, it is an error if the content model allows an
   element to match more than one occurrence of an element type in the
   content model.

Granted, "for compatibility" says, in short, we didn't have to do it
this way, but we did for SGML compatibility. I don't think that
negates the normative weight of the rest of the sentence though.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--
Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com> | For a successful technology, reality