   UPA and schema handling

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: UPA and schema handling
  • From: Ian Graham <ian.graham@utoronto.ca>
  • Date: Sun, 17 Oct 2004 12:27:53 -0400

I've been fiddling around with very simple schemas that violate the UPA
constraint -- and have found that some schema tools flag UPA errors
(e.g. oXygen), while others (e.g. XML spy) do not. This inconsistency
is, at best, confusing -- but at worst would seem to lead to
interoperability problems, since a designer could build a schema with
one toolset and find it is not acceptable to another.

So am I missing something here?  Is UPA really an inviolable constraint
[my interpretation], or is it just a guideline, in the manner of
Appendix E 'Deterministic Content Models (Non-Normative)' in the XML 1.0
specification?  And if it's just a guideline, would this not lead to
interoperability problems as I've just outlined?

And, if someone already went down this rat hole, can anyone refer me to
the corresponding xml-dev (or other) thread ;-)

Best --

Ian
--
Ian Graham
H: 416.769.2422 / W: 416.513.5656 / E:<ian . graham AT utoronto . ca>