   Re: [xml-dev] After XQuery, are we done?

Michael Kay wrote:

> Hyperlinks belong in the user interface space, XML should represent
> information independently of the user interface. It was always
> architecturally wrong to do hyperlinking at the XML level and the attempt
> should not be repeated.
>
> "Modelling relationships in XML" - that would be different.

But XLink was never about simple hyperlinks, or never just about that.
XLink was complex precisely because it tried to do a lot more. It can be
used for connecting to footnotes, references, annotations,
student-teacher connections, and pretty much any graph structure you can
imagine. It is about modeling relationships in XML that cross simple
containment boundaries. Perhaps that's why it's so complex and has taken
so long to catch on. Like RDF it breaks out of XML's usual tree
structures to connect widely separated nodes in unpredictable ways.