   Re: XSD and "elements"

"DuCharme, Bob (LNG-CHO)" <bob.ducharme@lexisnexis.com> writes:

> If the XSD Rec uses the term "element information item" for what used to be
> known as an element, what does it use to refer to a class of elements, or
> what the XML 1.0 Rec calls an element type? In other words, what is an
> element declaration declaring that gets instantiated by the element
> information items?

Intriguingly, the REC never needs to refer to that concept, and so has
no word for it.  Part of the reason it doesn't is that although in XML
1.0 as such an element type is determined by its name -- one element
type of a given name per document type, this is not so in W3C XML
Schema, where you can have a number of element declarations, one
top-level and the others local, with the same name.

ht
                     Half-time member of W3C Team
            Fax: (44) 131 650-4587, e-mail: ht@inf.ed.ac.uk