   Re: [xml-dev] Describing hierarchies with XML

Hi Frans,

I don't know if you'd like to work with attributes, but check this one out:

<menu>
	<category label="Menu">
		<category label="Programs">
			<category label="Utilities">
				<item>Calculator</item>
			</category>
			<category label="Office">
				<item>E-Mail</item>
				<item>Addressbook</item>
			</category>
			<item>Any other program</item>
		</category>
	</category>
</menu>

> No matter what solution, it should be described in an XML Schema, and should
> be possible to validate.

This way you can work out any hierarchical structure and you also can validate it against a schema like this, for instance:

<xs:schema xmlns:xs="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema"; elementFormDefault="unqualified">
	<xs:complexType name="categoryType">
		<xs:sequence>
			<xs:element name="category" type="categoryType" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
			<xs:element name="item" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
		</xs:sequence>
		<xs:attribute name="label" type="xs:string" />
	</xs:complexType>

	<xs:element name="menu">
		<xs:complexType>
			<xs:sequence>
				<xs:element name="category" type="categoryType" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
				<xs:element name="item" type="xs:string" minOccurs="0" maxOccurs="unbounded"/>
			</xs:sequence>
		</xs:complexType>
	</xs:element>
</xs:schema>

I'm really not an expert at XML and XML-schema, but that's the way I'd think of first.
It isn't too restrictive , but maybe it helps you a bit.

Greezz,
Alex