   Re: [xml-dev] Describing hierarchies with XML

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 08:25:54AM +0000, Frans Englich wrote:
> [...]
> One possibility is:
>
> <program>
>       <category>/Menu/Programs/Utilities</category>
>       <name>Calculator</name>
> </program>
[...]
> Another possibility is:
>
> <program>
>       <category>
>                       <menu>
>                               <programs>
>                                       <utilities/>
>                               </programs>
>                       </menu>
>       </category>
>       <name>Calculator</name>
> </program>

In general, avoid using element names for displayed data (e.g. for text
that a user would see), as you may later want markup inside a menu
title, perhaps for translation into Japanese or Chinese ("ruby").

<menu-structure>
  <menu id="programs">
    <name xml:lang="fr">Programmes</name>
    <name xml:lang="en-US">Programs</name>
    <menu id="utilities">
      <name xml:lang="en">Utilities</name>
    </menu>
  </menu>
</menu-structure>
<program>
    <category ref="utilities" />
    <name xml:lang="fr">Ordinateur</name>
    <command platform="unix" ui="gnome">gnome-calculator</command>
</program>

However, before you do this, take a look at http://www.freedesktop.org/
where there is already a definition for menu entries that's shared by
a number of desktops including KDE and Gnome.

(why the user would care which menu entries are implemented by
"programs" and which by some other sort of thing I don't know!)

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/