   Re: [xml-dev] When to check entity WFness according to 4.3.2

----- Original Message -----
From: "Richard Tobin" <richard@inf.ed.ac.uk>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Tuesday, October 26, 2004 10:23 AM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] When to check entity WFness according to 4.3.2

> >The only case when (c) does not catch the WF violation is when
> >the entity is never referenced. That is, Expat will not catch this:
>
> ><!DOCTYPE doc [
> ><!ELEMENT doc (#PCDATA)>
> ><!ENTITY e "<foo>abc</not_foo>">
> >]>
> ><doc></doc>
>
> Just to reiterate what I said earlier: expat is right not to report
> this as an error, because the document is well-formed, even though
> the entity "e" is not.

But the prolog is part of the document production, so if an entity declared
in the prolog is not well-formed, then should that not mean the document
is not well-formed?

Btw, MSXML reports a WF violation for the document above.
Even if you are right, this at least indicates that the spec is
not very clear on that issue.

Karl