   Re: [xml-dev] Schema Evolution

My own experience, on a large enterprise Web services project, is that
elegant schema / WSDL evolution is not possible. There is simply no way
to constrain the schema changes such that all existing applications are
guaranteed to work with the new versions. So we will create new services
(and keep the old) if anything needs to change.  We hope that governance
will help limit/control this revving process.

The situation is likely similar for other environments -- if you want to
guarantee that all previous apps dependent on the schema work, then you
can't change it.

If you think a schema change is idiot proof, you likely just haven't
found a suitably qualified idiot :-(

Ian