   RE: [xml-dev] Partyin' like it's 1999

> Maybe I'm naive, but  something that is pretty much
> abhorred by end users and only grudgingly tolerated by implementers
> isn't going to have a lot of friends when a simpler, cheaper [in real
> human time if not dollar cost] alternative that hits its 80/20 point
> comes along.

All precedents suggest that once a technology is entrenched, it only gets
displaced if (a) there are important jobs that it can't do, or (b) there is
a trusted alternative that is 1000% better. With XML, there's not the
slightest evidence that either of these events is imminent.

Dammit, we're still sending email in ASCII...

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/