   Re: [xml-dev] Partyin' like it's 1999

On Tue, 26 Oct 2004 22:43:21 +0100, Michael Kay
<michael.h.kay@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>  XML is now in the phase where
> ordinary people will use it because everyone else uses it, not because it's
> the smartest idea in town. And quite right too.

Well sure, XML is a bit like Zsa Zsa Gabor, who was famous for being
famous.  XML is popular because it is popular.

The problem is, "everybody will use it anyway" is what they said that
about Detroit gas guzzlers before the oil shock, mainframes before the
PC, pick your favorite technology displaced by a simpler/cheaper
innovation.    Maybe I'm naive, but  something that is pretty much
abhorred by end users and only grudgingly tolerated by implementers
isn't going to have a lot of friends when a simpler, cheaper [in real
human time if not dollar cost] alternative that hits its 80/20 point
comes along.  There is something to be said for having this discussion
now rather than wringing our hands when Technology X  puts us out of
work later.

Lauren says to remind everyone it would be more fun, and possibly more
productive, to continue this discussion at the bar at XML 2004 :-)
Maybe someone can invent a drinking game that will generate the list
that Len requests:  "If you have wasted more than a day because of
namespaces, take a drink ... if you have wasted more than a day
because of DTDs, take a drink ...."  :-)