   Re: [xml-dev] Partyin' like it's 1999

David Carlisle wrote:
> Well having some kind of scalable plugin architecture (as in IE) is
> clearly a good thing. The mechansim of incorporating *ML into the
> browser by taking the entre source tree of the browser, modifying it to
> render *ML then persuading the browser maintainers that you are
> trustworthy enough to check it back into the main branch clearly doesn't
> scale to more than a couple of languages in addition to *html.

It doesn't need to scale to more than the number of languages that have
their own specific rendering needs that can't be expressed on top of
another language. So long as you have those you can then use XBL to
implement the rest. Then of the languages that are most popular, you can
implement them natively for optimisation purposes but you don't have to.

> What's needed is some generic portable interface to a plugin
> architecture that works. I wish
> http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-cdf/
> showed a bit more excitement/activity on the subject of compound
> documents:-)

Give it a little time :) The WG hasn't had its first meeting and hasn't
published its first WD. If there's anything we can do to foster
excitement don't hesitate to prod us!

--
Robin Berjon