   Re: [xml-dev] Partyin' like it's 1999

On Oct 27, 2004, at 5:59 AM, Robin Berjon wrote:

> The first problem I've found when teaching namespaces is over
> expectations.

That should tell you something. My main complaint with namespaces is
that they only provide a funky form of alpha-renaming anyway, and that
mechanism (or a number of different mechanisms) has always been
available. As such, the specification is unnecessary and needlessly
complicates other specification, such as the DOM. Even the example of
XSLT is specious because at the end of the day, XSLT could have got
along with the exact same syntax, without using namespaces (the XSLT
processors could have been defined in terms or qnames).