   Re: [xml-dev] dynamically generated XML Schema?! Re: [xml-dev] R: [xml-d

Hi Michael

> That's actually four levels already: unicode encoding, XML well-formedness,
> schema validity, and application validity. And yes, you often need multiple
> levels.

The first 2 levels you mentioned are not configurable. I had lumped the
first 3 stages you have mentioned into one. Schema validity is the
right technical term to use, my humble apologies.

> But that doesn't stop you wanting individual levels to be configurable. A
> very simple example, when I validate new documents I want to check that the
> date is today. That kind of thing is very easily achieved by a configurable
> schema.

With all due respect, this is a trivial example becaue the today context
is implicit. However, I must add that the angle where your idea comes from
is brilliant ! Honestly, I have not thought of this before, but isn't this not
a complex solution to a simple problem ? If I have to do this validation
at the schema level, I would have to factor Today either as a regular
expression or into its facets, taking into consideration 8601 constrains
and time zones. If this is done at the application validity (2nd stage) phase,
it would probably only entail a simple comparison to a Today constant.
I have not taken this path before to discuss in exact implementation
details, so I may be wrong.

The scenario is however vastly different if we are in a workflow app,
external context aside, we cannot assume some state without first
looking into the document right ?

> Equally, the application-level validation is often done using XSLT
> stylesheets, and people often transform stylesheets for the same reason: you
> need things to be configurable at that level too.

Sure, my point is that the logical stuffs should be kept here and not
moved into the Schema validity space through dynamic schemas.
I suspect, even if XML Schema evolved to provide conditional
validation in the distant future, we still cannot completely escape
the application-level validation layer. The XML Schema must still
be emphsized as a means to enforce an agreed vocabulary and
not become dependent on application/system semantics.
The trick is therefore to strike the correct balance by putting
each validation requirement into the correct layer.

best rgds,
Kuan Hui