   Re: [xml-dev] What is XAML? A technique? A language? Both? XML# or XML++

Hello,

> <snip>
> XAML is just an XML-based way to wire up CLR types -
> no more no less.

  Well, if I dare to say that is the official
Microsoft party line.

  However, may I invite you to look at the XAML Tag
Quick Reference online @
http://longhorn.msdn.microsoft.com/lhsdk/port_ref_elements.aspx

  If you look closer at the XAML tags you will see
that you can use XAML to replace many open standards
including, for example, HTML or SVG.

  Also if XAML is just an XML-based way to wire up CLR
types - no more no less. How do you explain the
inclusion of a styling language a la CSS?

  Also if XAML is just an XML-based way to wire up CLR
types - no more no less. How do you explain all the
proprietary XML extensions (e.g. compound syntax,
binding syntax, etc.).

  So clearly XAML is more than just a technique to
wire up .NET objects. XAML is also a language that
competes with HTML, SVG, etc. and XAML is also an
extension that competes with "pure" plain vanilla XML.

  - Gerald

Gerald Bauer
Rich Client Conference (RichCon) 2005 -
http://richcon.com