   Re: [xml-dev] Hello XQuery ... Goodbye XSLT?

>> To echo an earlier point in this thread, I think it's the recursion and
>> non-procedural approach that trips up programmers accustomed to the most
>> popular general-purpose programming languages, and replacing some of the
>> start- and end-tags with curly braces won't change that.

>I find this a little depressing.  Some how I don't think one can claim
>to understand programing if you don't understand recursion.  Recursion
>is a fundamental concept in Computer Science. I guess the real
>statement is that many programmers don't understand the fundamentals
>of Computer Science, and that might be even more depressing, but I
>guess it isn't news...

While this may be true, it's certainly a deficiency of XSLT that it
often requires you to use recursion to perform tasks that are more
naturally described in a non-recursive way.  A programmer may be quite
happy using recursion to implement tasks he thinks of as recursive,
but still find it frustrating to translate, say, simple string-editing
to a recursive algorithm.

-- Richard