   Re: [xml-dev] Hello XQuery ... Goodbye XSLT?

On Wed, 10 Nov 2004 15:43:23 +0000 (GMT), Richard Tobin
<richard@inf.ed.ac.uk> wrote:

<snip>why people don't get recursion</snip>

> While this may be true, it's certainly a deficiency of XSLT that it
> often requires you to use recursion to perform tasks that are more
> naturally described in a non-recursive way.  A programmer may be quite
> happy using recursion to implement tasks he thinks of as recursive,
> but still find it frustrating to translate, say, simple string-editing
> to a recursive algorithm.

I don't think I'd call it a deficiency, but yes one person's natural
act might be painful for another...

I'd be willing to hazard a guess that there's a percentage of people
who get recursion but find translating it into the XSLT syntax the
straw that breaks the Camel's back, so to speak?   I'm usually OK with
the XSLT syntax up until the point I've got to do something like you
describe.  At that point the syntax becomes heavy weight enough that
writing the simple algorithm with all that extra verbiage is a pain.
I think this is something where XSLT 2 and XPath 2 help a lot, with
them, for some things, recursion is no longer necessary...

--
Peter Hunsberger