   Re: [xml-dev] Bits vs APIS - was Excellent Insight onStandardsDevelopmen

On Sun, 2004-11-14 at 11:42, Bill Kearney wrote:

> > If authors would stick to either of the schema's that would be a valid
> > statement Dare. By the time I got up to about 10 feeds, the XSLT is
> > becoming really horrible, and needs to be namespace agnostic.
>
> Well, consider the tyranny of bad tools problem.  If it's so complicated
> maybe the tools you're using aren't the right ones.  Or being approached the
> 'wrong way'.

I don't know Bill, but the results were 'irregular' to say the least :-)

> > The number of variations on a theme made reasonable processing with xslt
> > just about impossible. Hence I was hopeful of a schema for Atom.
>
> I'm not sure I buy into the argument that things should be warped to fit
> what only certain tools can provide.  Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of using
> XSLT but if it can't cut it then perhaps it's the wrong tool?

It struck me that if I'm getting valid XML, then XSLT was an appropriate
tool to present 'news' to me?
I felt more like a browser writer with those, read any old .... and
try and display it right.
Perhaps I was being too naive?

My conclusion? RSS in the wild isn't an instance of such a class of
valid documents.

--
Regards DaveP.
XSLT&Docbook  FAQ