   RE: [xml-dev] Hostility to "binary XML" (was Re: [xml-dev] XML 2004 webl

  • To: "Liam Quin" <liam@w3.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Hostility to "binary XML" (was Re: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog items?)
  • From: "Dare Obasanjo" <dareo@microsoft.com>
  • Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 17:26:52 -0800
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

I'm sure he means mapping namespace URIs to prefixes including the
associated scoping rules and the like.

> > Sounds like you are claiming that XML parsers (e.g. the
> stuff that XML
> > web service end points or RSS aggregators use to consume XML coming
> > from arbitrary and sometimes malicious sources) should skip
> > well-formedness & validity tests since they can trust the writers.
>
> That's not what I meant to claim -- you quoted me out of context.

So detecting duplicate attributes and checking if characters are legal
isn't well-formedness checking? I'm confused, how are you quoted out of
context?

1. Derek points out at that some well-formedness checking is expensive
2. Liam responds that parsers can skip them and trust the generator of
the XML
3. I point out that this is problematic on the Web where consumers of
XML usually cannot trust producers of XML

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are ingenious.

rights.