   Re: [xml-dev] binary xml for large collections of structured data?

On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:56:33PM +1000, cr88192 wrote:
> how about xml for xml-like data, but a lot of it?...
> eg: GB's of xml, representing things like arbitrary types of serialized
> objects, collections, ...

We do have some people in the W3C XML Binary Characterization WG who
have gigabytes / terabytes of data.  Some of them were represented at
the public Workshop we held last year -- e.g. geoglogical surveys.

You might like to look at the Use Cases document [1] for some of the
needs that have come up, and also the first go at a list of properties
of binary encodings that one might measure.

> so, there could be 2 varieties:
> a flat serialized version, which could be simpler and used for read or
> write only access;
> a dynamic random-access version, which could be more complex, but would
> allow read/write access, and possibly tranactional stuff (the log likely
> being kept as a seperate file). something like a b-tree could make sense.

A b-tree isn't really an interchange format.  W3C isn't in the business
of specifying what goes on inside a database or application in that way
really, only at the interoperability level (although DOM stretches that
a little, I admit!).

Liam

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xbc-use-cases
[2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xbc-properties