   Re: [xml-dev] binary xml for large collections of structured data?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Liam Quin" <liam@w3.org>
To: "cr88192" <cr88192@hotmail.com>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2004 2:41 PM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] binary xml for large collections of structured data?

> On Tue, Nov 23, 2004 at 01:56:33PM +1000, cr88192 wrote:
>> how about xml for xml-like data, but a lot of it?...
>> eg: GB's of xml, representing things like arbitrary types of serialized
>> objects, collections, ...
>
> We do have some people in the W3C XML Binary Characterization WG who
> have gigabytes / terabytes of data.  Some of them were represented at
> the public Workshop we held last year -- e.g. geoglogical surveys.
>
> You might like to look at the Use Cases document [1] for some of the
> needs that have come up, and also the first go at a list of properties
> of binary encodings that one might measure.

yes, I was reading this for a while, figured I would respond.

>> so, there could be 2 varieties:
>> a flat serialized version, which could be simpler and used for read or
>> write only access;
>> a dynamic random-access version, which could be more complex, but would
>> allow read/write access, and possibly tranactional stuff (the log likely
>> being kept as a seperate file). something like a b-tree could make sense.
>
> A b-tree isn't really an interchange format.  W3C isn't in the business
> of specifying what goes on inside a database or application in that way
> really, only at the interoperability level (although DOM stretches that
> a little, I admit!).

ok, this makes sense.

I just tend to think on this level.
specifying on this level, however, may become necessary in the formation of
an actual format.

it does give me ideas though, maybe I could try for a general "store" format
for my own use, which could be useful for my efforts...
said store format, however, will not be viewed as portable, but may try to
represent general xml-style data (or be serializable to textual xml...).

> Liam
>
> [1] http://www.w3.org/TR/xbc-use-cases
> [2] http://www.w3.org/TR/xbc-properties

yes, was reading these, taking a while...