   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Hostility to "binary XML"

> You'd still have to grovel over a whole bunch of characters. Parsers
> would be smaller and simpler, maybe, but I don't think they'd be a lot
> faster.

I have always been of the opinion that, at least for certain classes of
documents, validation could be used to speed the process up. If certain
VCs were considered fatal errors, then character checking would be
reduced for start tags (i.e., instead of checking that a character is a
valid XML character, you would check if the name is valid according to
the DTD). This would mean that in situations where an element was
repeated the XML character checking could be avoided. In situations
where the DTD could be cached you would gain a more substantial speed
increase.

Now, let me be the first to say-- I wouldn't want to see VCs treated as
fatal, I wouldn't want to require DTDs, and I haven't actually tested
this... it is only conjecture.

Cheers,
Jeff Rafter