   Re: [xml-dev] Re: Hostility to "binary XML"

/ Oleg Tkachenko <oleg@tkachenko.com> was heard to say:
| Michael Champion wrote:
|
|> I ended my talk with a *personal* [don't hold any past, present, or
|> future employer responsible!] recommendation "Leave evolution to
|> Darwin, not Berners-Lee".  In other words, it's time to experiment, to
|> develop specs that meet the needs of some specific industry, to see if
|> parsing and compression technology for XML text can be dramatically
|> improved .... and THEN to come back with data and best practices in
|> hand to see if W3C Recommendations can be agreed upon.
|
| I wonder if possible XML simplifications such as Norm Walsh was
| writing about [1] could speed up parsers?

I doubt it. Not in the same sort of way that a binary encoding would/will.

| If there were no DOCTYPE, no entities, no default or fixed attributes,
| no limitations on characters used, no default namespaces, etc.

You'd still have to grovel over a whole bunch of characters. Parsers
would be smaller and simpler, maybe, but I don't think they'd be a lot
faster.

| [1] http://norman.walsh.name/2004/11/10/xml20

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm