   Re: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog items?

/ Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@gmail.com> was heard to say:
| Am I missing some others by subscribing to the wrong feeds?    I'd be
| especially interested in reaction / commentary about the keynote
| speeches.

I've posted a couple of things at http://norman.walsh.name/, but
nothing specifically about the keynotes.

| Or did Len's appearance render everyone speechless?
|
| Anyone who is too busy to blog but wants to dump their thoughts might
| want to respond to one of the following conversation starters:
|
| The 'binary XML' stuff got a lot less hostile reception than I
| expected.  Is the world ready to hear that XML 1.x text serialization
| is not suitable for wireless applications, is this old news, or what?

The XBC WG seems to be helping frame the issue. I think the debate
will rage again in earnest when they're done and proposals start
coming along for standardizing on some particular binary encoding.

| The Semantic Web stuff seemed to get a lot of favorable buzz and not
| too much pushback.  Is the world ready to hear that tags alone don't
| make data "self-describing", was this a friendly government audience
| that wants to believe there is a technological fix for their problems,
| or what?

It all sounds good at the level of discussion in the presentations I
saw. Whether it actually saves time or money at an industrial scale is
still an open question, I think. At least, no one has shown me proof
that it does.

| There was less about web services / SOA on the program this year.  Is
| the world just quietly using these technologies, sick of hearing the
| hype, or what?

No clue.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm