   Re: [xml-dev] Is an XQuery Document an XML Document?

Hi, Roger.

  I'm no expert on this field (XQuery), but AFAIK there is no such thing like "XQuery document": XQuery is an expression and functional language, who evaluate expressions.  For example:

3 + 5

  Is a full XQuery expression that an XQuery parser can evaluate.  In fact, a "XQuery document" is a XQuery expression that may consist of other expressions.

  A XQuery expression may evaluate to an XML document (well-formed of course), but still, it can evaluate just to a chunk of bytes (string)...

  Anyway, your point of view is very interesting.

Regards,

Sergio Rodríguez.

"Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org> wrote:
So, you might conclude, "A fundamental rule in XML is that the "<" symbol
is reserved and must be escaped.  XQuery does not heed this rule.
Therefore, an XQuery document is not an XML document."

Okay, I give up.  Which is it?  XML or not?  If it's not XML then why
is it called "XML Query Language"?  /Roger

Do You Yahoo!?
Yahoo! Net: La mejor conexión a internet y 25MB extra a tu correo por $100 al mes.