   RE: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog items?

  • To: "Mark Baker" <distobj@acm.org>
  • Subject: RE: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog items?)
  • From: "Chiusano Joseph" <chiusano_joseph@bah.com>
  • Date: Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:49:09 -0500
  • Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>

Please define "useful". It sounds like the loose coupling, vendor
neutrality, and business agility that they enable are not useful
according to you?

> because the
> implicit constraints (nobody's yet been able to agree on any)
> of SOA are so few.
> Many SOA proponents I've talked to claim this is a good
> thing, but the study of software architecture tells us the
> exact opposite; that only via constraints are the necessary
> architectural properties realized (and many more are required
> for Internet scale solution than they are Intranet scale ones).
>
> FWIW, I was using it differently there, to basically say it's
> used to simultaneously refer to styles akin to CORBA/OMA,
> MOM, RPC, etc...
>
> > SOA is not a Web Services technology - Web Services are a tactical
> > means to achieve the strategic goal of SOA (credit to
> Burton Group for
> > that characterization).
>
> Sounds like a cop-out to me; a layer of indirection which
> allows the analysts to continue to tout "SOA", while "Web
> services" take the heat from five years of hype and very
> little in the way of demonstrated value.

A lack of research sounds like a bigger cop-out to me ;) You should do
your homework...

Kind Regards,
Joseph Chiusano
Booz Allen Hamilton
Strategy and Technology Consultants to the World