   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblog items?

On Mon, Nov 29, 2004 at 02:49:09PM -0500, Chiusano Joseph wrote:
> Please define "useful". It sounds like the loose coupling, vendor
> neutrality, and business agility that they enable are not useful
> according to you?

So if I adopt SOA then my system is loosely coupled?

I've been told that SOA encompasses other architectural styles
including RPC, MOM, and even REST.  Yet each of those yields varying
degrees of "loose coupling".  In particular, RPC systems are now
generally regarded as tightly coupled.  Logically then, all I can
conclude about the degree of loose coupling exhibited by an SOA based
architecture is that it's no worse than RPC (assuming RPC is the worst
one can do, which doesn't seem unreasonable).

As I see it, there's only one way to remedy that; to assert that "SOA
excludes RPC", which is an architectural constraint, at least once
the details of what it means to be RPC are itemized.

Also, "vendor neutrality" is pretty easy in the general case.  And I
don't understand what "business agility" means, but it sounds like
loose coupling by another name.

Mark.