   Re: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblogitems?)

  • To: david.lyon@computergrid.net
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Web Services/SOA (was RE: [xml-dev] XML 2004 weblogitems?)
  • From: Paul Downey <paul.downey@whatfettle.com>
  • Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 18:31:21 +0000
  • Cc: Michael Champion <michaelc.champion@gmail.com>, xml-dev@lists.xml.org

david.lyon@computergrid.net wrote:

> only funny because I remember YACC from way back. No
> doubt it still exists. I remember that was one
> heck of a frustrating program.

oh it still exists, though i've moved onto using Parse::RecDescent
as a better mouse trap for writing ad-hoc parsers:
http://search.cpan.org/~dconway/Parse-RecDescent-1.94/lib/Parse/RecDescent.pod

> and yet... some of these new tools have exactly the
> same frustration level in xml even now. I don't know
> why I think that, but it seems that way to me. Especially
> in Linux.

i guess it might be interesting to compare the shift-reduce
limitations of YACC with, say the UPA rule in W3C schema:
http://www.linuxgazette.com/issue87/ramankutty.html

--
Paul Downey
http://blog.whatfettle.com