   What niche is XQuery targeting?

  • To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
  • Subject: What niche is XQuery targeting?
  • From: "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org>
  • Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:53:17 -0500

Hi Folks,

From previous posts I have learned that:

1. The capabilities provided by XQuery is a subset of the capabilities provided by XSLT/XPath 2.0

2. The XQuery syntax is a hybrid - it has some XML characteristics but is not XML.

Norm Walsh notes:  "It's a non-queriable, non-transformable subset of XSLT 2.0".

Given this, I am wondering what niche XQuery is expecting to fill?  /Roger