   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

On Thu, 2 Dec 2004 08:53:17 -0500, Roger L. Costello <costello@mitre.org> wrote:

> Given this, I am wondering what niche XQuery is expecting to fill?  /Roger

The Usage Scenarios section of
http://www.w3.org/TR/xquery-requirements/ would be a good starting
place :-)

These mention the ability to query XML representations of traditional
databases, objects, config files,  DOM trees, etc. as well as native
XML documents and databases.  Use cases include filtering,
transforming, and integrating within and across these diverse data
sources.

As with XML itself, the actual niche XQuery will fill may not be one
that was antiicipated by the designers.   And of course it may not
fill ANY niche if the world collectively decides that SQL/XML and XSLT
do their more specialized jobs better than XQuery does both querying
and transformation.  (I personally doubt it, but it could happen).