   XQuery on Binary XML?

OK, we now have the ultimate heresy. Make XML binary, give it a native
programming language, and in one sense we're back to what we had with
object oriented programming, except we have a functional language
instead of an object oriented one.

But...this binary representation has a native serialization, and is
easily interchanged as text. Or as binary, for that matter. Each node
could have its own binary format, with standard binary or text-based
formats for interchange.

Of course, queries might need to operate on several binary formats -
that used for binary interchange of web messages, the internal format of
an XML store, a text-based XML document, an XML view of a relational
database - so you might have several implementations of XQuery, with
mediation among them.

To the extent that the binary XML is not interchanged, this is merely an
internal optimization. But distributed XML pipelines are also important
in some organizations.

So where is this all going?

Jonathan