   Re: [xml-dev] XQuery on Binary XML?

Quoting Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect.com>:

> OK, we now have the ultimate heresy. Make XML binary, give it a native
> programming language, and in one sense we're back to what we had with
> object oriented programming, except we have a functional language
> instead of an object oriented one.
>
> But...this binary representation has a native serialization, and is
> easily interchanged as text. Or as binary, for that matter. Each node
> could have its own binary format, with standard binary or text-based
> formats for interchange.
>
> Of course, queries might need to operate on several binary formats -
> that used for binary interchange of web messages, the internal format of
> an XML store, a text-based XML document, an XML view of a relational
> database - so you might have several implementations of XQuery, with
> mediation among them.
>
> To the extent that the binary XML is not interchanged, this is merely an
> internal optimization. But distributed XML pipelines are also important
> in some organizations.
>
> So where is this all going?

To roughly quote Jurassic park, "I've got two million lines of code,
23 servers - do you know how long it takes to debug that?"

and then the boss comes in "Well, you've got till the end of the
week or else. Then the dinosaurs and customers are arriving. You'll
just have to get it working somehow"

.... just another day at the office .....