   Re: [xml-dev] XML-aware programming language?

Michael Kay wrote:
> > [Joe English]
> > This preserves the semantics according to [REC-xml-names] --
> > it's the namespace URI that's important, not the prefix --
> > and preserves *most* of the Infoset semantics.  ...
> >
> > This last might be problematic ...
>
> If we didn't have prefixes-in-content then we wouldn't have a problem. If we
> only had to preserve *most* of the semantics then we wouldn't have a
> problem.
>
> Putting aside wishful thinking about what might have been, does anyone have
> a solution that works in the real world?

The solution outlined above *does* work in the real world.

Nobody expects an XML database (or any XML processor, for that matter)
to preserve things like attribute order, whitespace in tags,
CDATA section boundaries, or [comment] information items.
It's a bad idea to design vocabularies where these things are
significant, and almost nobody does.

Most XML applications don't care about the [in-scope namespaces]
property either, and can be safely stored in a database that fails
to preserve it.

--Joe English

  jenglish@flightlab.com