   Re: [xml-dev] Namespaces in Content (was XML-aware programming language?

On Fri, 03 Dec 2004 10:17:35 -0500, Jonathan Robie
<jonathan.robie@datadirect.com> wrote:

> In untyped documents, content is just a sequence of characters, as far
> as the XML parser is concerned. Any namespace interpretation given to
> that content is application semantics, not XML semantics.

I have hard hat and flack jacket on, so...in the same way that
interpretation of XML namespaces happens on top of XML, why not just
layer (schema-independent) disambiguation of abbreviated content on
top of those, e.g.

<dog xmlns="http://purl.org/stuff/dogs/
xmlns:nicer="http://purl.org/stuff/nicer/";>
   <nicer:map nicer:prefix="cls"
nicer:namespace="http://purl.org/stuff/colors/"/>
   <paw color="cls:golden" />
</dog>

(This is very similar to the HTML namespace resolution mechanism of
RFC 2731, DC.Description etc, just tweaked for the familiar prefix
syntax. Blogged at
http://dannyayers.com/archives/2004/11/05/exorcising-qnames/).

Cheers,
Danny.