   Re: [xml-dev] Relax NG, Thoughts, etc.

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Relax NG, Thoughts, etc.
  • From: Norman Walsh <ndw@nwalsh.com>
  • Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 12:01:20 -0500

/ "Roger L. Costello" <costello@mitre.org> was heard to say:
| But the following technologies have been created to only utilize one of them
| (XML Schemas):
|
| a. XSLT
| b. XPath

Nah. I plan to use XSLT 2.0 on documents validated with RELAX NG. I am
now, in fact, but I mean with typed values in the data model, which I
haven't actually built yet.

| c. XQuery

The same would apply here.

| d. SOAP
| e. WSDL

<shrug/> Intelligent folks building real systems tell me that
validation isn't actually something you do in production code, so I
don't see how these are really tied to any particular schema language.
That said, it's clear that W3C XML Schema provides mapping to object
graphs and those mappings are being used, so W3C XML Schema probably
is the best fit here.

| The W3C seems to be sending a clear message, "if you're not XML Schemas then
| you're not invited to the party".  /Roger

I don't see it that way.

                                        Be seeing you,
                                          norm

--