   Re: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 02:57:08PM -0800, Robert Koberg wrote:
> Why do you think an xsl:apply-templates would need to examine your
> entire db (even if it could)? Your uri resolver could grab what you need
> to return to the transformation.
The model is that XSLT (or XQuery) is running over instances of
the XPath 2 data model.  Implementations exist that project
relational database tables so that they appear to be XML documents,
so that there's no special code "grabbing" data.

> Heck, you could form some XQuery string in XSLT 1.0, send it to a uri
> resolver (through document()), which then does the xquery, then returns
> the result back to the transformation so you can apply-templates.

Yes, you could do that. It's a good demonstration of the difference
in focus between XSLT and XQuery that I was trying to illustrate.

Best,

Liam

http://www.holoweb.net/~liam/