   Re: [xml-dev] XML-aware programming language?

 <x>
 <x select="{data:,x}:y[.='{data:,x}:y']"/>
 <x select="{data:,y}:y[.='{data:,y}:y']"/>
 </x>

 Here I have effectively destroyed the prefixes, so my result could only be

You also effectively destroyed the meaning. See I said it wasn't so easy
you need a full Xpath parser.
The point of my example was that the x:y in [.='x:y'] is a _string
literal_ and not a Qname, it shoul dbe no more subject to namespace
processing than if it had said 'colour: red'.

  I am not sure if anybody really auto-generates XSLT with clashing
  namespace declaration.

Oh sure it's _very_ common (also hand written. Most common re-usimg
the default namespace. People often prefer to use xhtaml and mathml say
both unprefixed and pay teh price of re-declaring mathml every time you
go in to mathematics.

David

http://www.star.net.uk