   RE: [xml-dev] [XQuery] FLWOR (for-let-where-order-return) equivalent to

I think the where clause is indeed redundant. "where X return Y" can always
be replaced by "return if (X) then Y else ()".

The let clause is also redundant - not because it can be replaced by a "for"
clause, which is what you are suggesting, but because references to the
variable can be replaced by the expression to which the variable is bound.
(A "let" can only be replaced by a "for" in the case where the expression
after ":=" returns a singleton).

However, the fact that constructs are redundant doesn't stop them being very
convenient.

Michael Kay
http://www.saxonica.com/