   RE: [xml-dev] The XML Backlash

Yep. That was me.  The question is not
from where, but what scale is the backlash this time
and will the wave effect take over?

I'll skip over the possible third of the complaints
coming from people who want position, failed to
get it, they ignored XML, then found themselves
isolated and now are fighting XML to eliminate their
social competitors who did win with it.  Sad but life
among the mammals...

Performance:

The closer one gets to real time, the more performance
is an issue.  XML isn't a sharp performer in real time.

Is binary the compromise until Moore's Law relieves the front line?

Verbosity:

The alternative syntaxes that accompany new XML application languages
are another compromise.  Subsets are a natural feature and to be expected.
How does a syntax based solution justify alternative syntaxes?

Trying to program in XML:

Sowa claims the issue is that
people attempt to solve semantic problems with syntax
patches.  That's an interesting topic because it is
at the heart of other permathreads.

Bad XML designs:

I do wonder if some of these combined
with lack of compression (Good post, Steve deR) are
driving a fair bit of the backlash.  Given the loose
coupling meme, i.e., expecting any consumer to consume
badly designed XML, some work is needed here.

Inappropriate data model:

Yes, XML is not a relational database.  So?  It isn't
a fish either.

What does a backlash look like?

In a visualization, it looks like a one color graph
of points where small isolates begin to change color,
then a few of these find pathways to each other, and
at some point, a large splotch appears.  Inside that
splotch, you'll find the applications with similar
problems with the syntax and similar or different
compromises.   What keeps the whole graph from turning
is that for some applications (eg middleware, large
lazy transactions, etc.) XML is the right solution
and holds its natural niche well.

I suspect the answer is some combination of alternative
mappable syntaxes and binaries.  Not new news.  We
live with 'other bits on the wire' and mostly XML in
cold storage next to the tables and in the tables.

len

From: Tim.Bray@Sun.COM [mailto:Tim.Bray@Sun.COM]On Behalf Of Tim Bray

On Dec 3, 2004, at 8:34 AM, Bullard, Claude L (Len) wrote:

> Are we at the emergence point of an XML backlash?

Heh, the XML backlash started even before XML was finished.  As I
recall, you were one of the early ringleaders.  Obviously, XML clogs up
networks and isn't nearly as good as decades-old LISP proposals.  Throw
the damn thing out I say, and start again.  -Tim