   XML Economics was: Re: [xml-dev] Data streams

Usually, I sit and watch these interesting discussions and enjoy the
focus on the technical intricacies.  However in this case I feel
compelled to interject.

Isn't this discussion missing something fundamental?

Isn't there essentially an overwhelming economic argument for expressing
information in XML.  I wrote the following paragraph about 2 years ago
whilst trying to retrospectively capture the thinking that we'd done at
HP before starting the Dexter project...

"So by expressing data in XML it acquires the capability to be consumed
in the Web and processed by web-technologies. If web-sites are pervasive
and web communication is mandatory in business it makes sense to ensure
data is encapsulated in XML. It is not the XML that is powerful it is
the potential that XML and the universal set of applications that can
potentially process this data, it is XML's communicability that makes
XML powerful and which is fuelling the XML-transition."

If you're interested the whole paper is available here...

http://www.1060research.com/whitepaper/netkernel.html

A proviso. This is not a marketing stunt!  This paper represents a
progression of thought that led us to start an XML infrastructure
project at HP. Some of it might be relevant to the fundamental arguments
behind this discussion?

Not to put a spanner in the discussion - since once you believe in the
economic imperative, you surely need to have a feel for the best linear
combination of the readability and disorder eigenvectors [I can almost
hear the 'what's the value of attributes?' discussion starting ;-)]

Cheers,

Peter
--
Peter Rodgers <pjr@1060.org>