   RE: [xml-dev] Data streams

Really, this whole debate about xml versus csv in
excel is like comparing apples with lemons.

What is being compared isn't the inherent processability
of xml, but the implementation and efficiency of the
parsers being used.

It's a comparison saying that assembly language programs
run faster than those written in a high level language.

One could argue that larger data size doesn't inherently
make it slower to process than a smaller amounts of data.

Any dbms writer can tell you adding indexes, which take
up more space can dramatically increase speed.

My final point is that 20 minutes to process a few hundred
megabytes is not slow....

I remember when it used to take about 6 days to process 5MB
of CSVs on a old 486 with dbase......

So with a bit of perspective, xml and what we have now,
even with 20 minutes... that's really flying along...

David