   RE: [xml-dev] Data streams

Frank said:

>If you really care, goto single letter tag names, and even for single digit
>data (how real is that?) you have '<d>1</d>' vs '1,' or 8 to 2, not 50 to 1.

Gentlemen:

Considering that I started this thread, let me ask if we are all on
the same page.

In keeping with the direction of the tread, I created a xml file that
consisted of one million data entries of:

<d>1234.56789</d>

The size was correspondingly 171.6 Megs, and this is consistent with
17 characters which includes a CR for each entry.

This file compressed down to 4.7 Megs in a zip file, which I believe
uses a Huffman compression technique. As such Frank, I would not
expect to see much difference between using <d> vs <data> tags --
after all, the most redundant strings are reduced to the smallest
replacement characters. My test show less than 1 percent difference
in sizes between the two.

It's interesting to note that the time for me to compress my file was
3 minutes and 14 seconds, not 20 minutes. The time to decompress this
file was under 6 seconds.

David, was the processing time you mentioned, the time it took for
you to compress your file?

As for your comment about dbms indexing, you are correct David, I
just wrote a set of b-tree routines which uses splaying and the times
to access a 10 million node db were on the order of 4 million random
searches per second.

Please forgive me, and I do not want to start a "which is best"
controversy, but what kind of machines are you people using? I'm
using a two year old Macintosh running OS-X.

tedd

http://sperling.com/