   RE: [xml-dev] What niche is XQuery targeting?

> Dear Michael,
>
> Discussions about syntax are what they are. I understand you
> seem to see
> general advantages in XML syntax. If this is so, I disagree.

You have entirely misread my posting. Dana asked what the benefits of using
an XML syntax for XSLT were, so I listed seven. I never said that every
programming language should be encoded in XML, nor did I say there were no
corresponding disadvantages.

The fact is, for XSLT it has worked extremely well. There have been several
attempts to define non-XML syntaxes for XSLT, and none, as far as I can
tell, has caught on with anyone other than the original author.

You've tried to argue that some of the benefits I cited could have been
achieved in a different way, but that's all hypothetical. The benefits I
cited are real and have actually been delivered.

Michael Kay